9:34 PM


190 visa is points based and allows skilled workers who are nominated by an Australian state or territory government live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.


  • have a relevant occupation on the 190 visa occupation list
  • have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
  • meet the points test pass mark of 65 points (as of 1 July 2018)
  • be nominated by a state or territory government agency
  • Lodge an EOI and be invited to apply
  • Be aged between 18 and 44 inclusive
  • have Competent English
  • Meet health and character requirements

The process

Nomination by a State or Territory Government

Each State and Territory Government has its own list of occupations in demand in their area. There may be specific requirements in relation to your work experience, English language ability or specialised skills.

Submit an expression of interest (EOI) via SkillSelect with details of your nominated occupation, skills and qualifications. SkillSelect will estimate a points score; if you score high enough, Australian state and territory government agencies will be able to view your EOI and decide if they want to nominate you.

If you are nominated by a state or territory agency, you will be invited to apply for the visa. If you are invited, you have 60 calendar days to apply for the visa. We will then process your visa application.


Points score

You must be able to meet the points score on your invitation letter. This score will be 65 points (as of 1 July 2018) or more.

The score on your invitation letter is based on the information in your EOI.

You must be able to meet the points score eligibility at the time you are invited to apply for the visa.


Points test

Use the points table to calculate your test score

  • English language ability
  • Skilled employment
  • Qualifications
  • Australian study requirement
  • Specialist education requirement
  • Other factors

Can I Apply in Australia or Overseas?

You can be in or outside Australia when you submit your EOI. You can either be in Australia or overseas when you apply for a Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa. To be able to lodge from within Australia, you would need to hold a substantive visa or a Bridging A, B or C visa. Once you apply from within Australia, you will receive a bridging visa allowing you to remain in Australia during processing of your visa application. If your current visa is refused or cancelled you might not be eligible to apply for the 189 visa while you were in Australia.

State and territory requirements

Each state and territory has its own list of occupations, requirements and processes you must follow.

More information about the requirements and processes on how Australian states or territories nominate applicants is available.

Assessing authorities

Use the assessing authority listed against your nominated occupation in the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.

What you can do with a 190 visa

This is a permanent visa. It lets you:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.


You can include your partner and your or your partner’s child or step-child in your application.

Family members who are granted the visa have the same rights and can do the same things as you.

Your obligations

You and your family members must comply with Australian laws and your visa obligations. You can find your visa conditions in VEVO.

You also have obligations toward the state or territory that nominates you.​


You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want for five years after the visa is granted.


From AUD 3,670

You might have to pay additional costs:


Below is a General Guide Regarding the Government Costs Involved in Making a Skilled Visa Application (effective July 2018)

There is no government fee to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI).

The Skilled 
489, 189 and 190
AU$ 3755
Fee for Main visa applicant.
The Skilled
489, 189 and 190
AUS $1875
Fee for Spouse of the Main visa applicant.
The Skilled
489, 189 and 190
AUS $945
This fee is per child of the Main visa applicant.
OTHER COSTS If Applicable)
Medical Examination
 Depending upon the type of Medical Test and Examination required
This fee is payable for each person included in your application and must be paid directly to the doctor conducting your examination.
Character Clearance (Police Check)
see details
This fee is to be paid directly to the police authorities in the countries where you have lived for 12 months or more.
Certification/Translation of Documents
case by case
To pay directly to Translator
The Skilled
489, 189 and 190
$3,950 – $5,950

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)-DIBP Fees

Application $1,535
Additional applicant Charge $765
Additional applicant Charge -18 $385
Category: Australia | Views: 35 | Added by: admin | Rating: 0.0/0
Total comments: 0